- Accredo successfully pioneered USDA approved renewably-sourced stand-up pouches. USDA certified 59% renewable content.
- First to introduce sustainably produced shrink-film with 3rd-party certified renewable content of 45%. Branded as CO2LLATION™ Shrink Bundling Film.
- Using renewably-sourced resin from sugar-cane feedstock, Accredo has successfully developed sustainably produced Towel & Tissue overwrap with a highly renewable content.
- At the recent Pack Expo, in cooperation with our development partner, Dow Chemicals, Accredo successfully launched AccredoFlex® RP™, a fully recyclable stand-up pouch.
Our exclusive use of expanded color gamut process printing, and state of the art machinery enables us to produce conventional packaging in a more sustainable production process than our competitors.
- Production output in less time to reduce GHG emissions.
- Focus on eliminating waste while minimizing carbon footprint.
- Proprietary ink delivery system – Virtually eliminating ink waste and returns.
- Expanded color gamut process printing – Precise registration and color accuracy resulting in significant reduction in ink and solvent usage.
Recyclable Stand-up Pouch Option
(Pre-made and printed laminate for FFS applications)
Introducing the next exciting trend in flexible packaging, AccredoFlex® RP™ – the innovative Recyclable Stand-up Pouch by Accredo Packaging! AccredoFlex® RP™ has the potential to be an industry changer’, moving from co-mingled, multi-material structures (e.g. PET/LDPE) whose end-of-life will be land-fill, to a single-source homogeneous substrate that CAN be recycled and so diverted from land-fill.
The market has a general and growing interest in ‘Sustainable Packaging Options’. Compared to a non-recyclable multi-material structure, AccredoFlex® RP™ recyclable stand-up pouch offers the benefits of recycling and provides decisive competitive advantages:
- Realization of a company’s sustainability goals
- Innovation and first mover
- Differentiation from competitors
- Source reduction
- Potential for total system cost savings
AccredoFlex® RP™ recyclable stand-up pouch provides the consumer a more sustainable proposition of recyclability:
- The same end-use convenience
- Comparable functional performance**
- Recyclable where PE film recycling stream is available (e.g. grocery and retail store drop-off)***
- Approved by TREX Recyclers to be reprocessed into new products (e.g. composite lumber, park benches)
- Waste diversion from land-fill
End-use Market Applications:
- Frozen animal protein-based products (chicken, fish and shellfish).
- Pre-cooked and frozen vegetables – more convenience when preparing meals.
- Frozen fruit and fruit pulp – availability throughout the year.
- Breakfast cereals, Rice, Sugar.
- Pet food*.
- Flour products.
- Grains & legumes – lentils, peas, beans, corn, chickpeas, wheat.
- Pie, cake, and bread mixes.
- Laundry and dishwashing refill packs.
* The How2Recycle Label is a project of GreenBlue’s Sustainable Packaging Coalition® (SPC).
** Check barrier requirements that are suitable for PE SUP applications.
*** Where such recycling facilities are provided
Using renewably-sourced resin from sugar-cane feedstock (as opposed to hydrocarbon-based feedstock), Accredo has successfully pioneered sustainably produced packaging with a highly renewable content. In September 2012, Accredo’s Renewable-3409 stand-up pouch was third-party tested in accordance with ASTM D6866 and certified by the USDA to contain 55% renewably-sourced content.
- Processing: Drop-in replacement – Line speed not compromised
- Performance: Similar to hydrocarbon-based feedstock.
Producing packaging made from carbon-neutral biobased renewable feedstock:
- reduces carbon footprint and GHG emissions;
- reduces the impact of global warming and climate change;
- improves Life Cycle Assessment criteria;
- aligns the product with packaging made in a “sustainable” way.
- Naturally-based sustainable packaging is sure to find support with the American consumer who will appreciate the link with conservation of materials and resources.
PACKAGING FROM NATURE…IT’S A NATURAL!SM
Compostable or “Organic Recycling”
- Accredo was the first company globally to manufacture a zippered stand-up pouch made from components certified compostable in accordance with ASTM 6400 standards for compostability in industrial composting facilities.
- New developments in compostable film technology enable us to produce compostable packaging that achieves the highest moisture and gas barriers:
- MVTR – 0.15 gm/100 in²/day
- OTR – 0.03 cc/100 in²/day